It is hard to believe that we are almost half way through the month of January isn’t it? It seems just like yesterday that it was January 1 and we were all hyped about this year, but now we are settled in, and about to wave goodbye to January already. Wow!
With that said, I thought I might take a moment to thank you all. I know that overdoing it can be a little odd, but so can under appreciating you as well. Therefore, I sincerely want to say THANK YOU to all of you who faithfully visit my blog and have followed my culinary journey (well me and my husband’s culinary journey).
Just this year, as some of you may have already been able to tell, we have done some major and important updates to the blog (okay an all out overhaul), and it means so much that many of you have still managed to return to the site which means you either (a) remember the web address or (b) saved it in your bookmarks, and for that alone I am forever grateful.
This year means a lot to me in terms of bringing you good content too because I am beginning to realize how much of an impact this can make for someone who (like myself) is seeking for a change up in their lives, but who also wants to make healthier choices. So my commitment is to post more and more often so that I can keep you cooking and baking some of the best recipes you can!
If you have any suggestions always feel free to put those in the comment section too, I will always read and respond 🙂
So! Moving on…
About this delicious dairy- and gluten free scrambled tofu “egg” breakfast burrito!
Doesn’t it look wonderful? It is definitely all that it looks like and some! My husband and I got inspired to do this recipe after spending the better of last year stocking up on all of the dairy- and gluten free burritos Amy’s Kitchen had to offer in the freezer section of Whole Foods.
Which was like – three options? Let’s see (counting on fingers)- there was a teriyaki burrito, a bean and rice one, oh! and a tofu breakfast burrito.
Yep, three total.
I’ve officially tried all three! Over and over and over again.
So much so that my husband intentionally overlooks them at the store as if he had never seen nor heard of them, I run away frantically from the freezer aisle when at Whole Foods and close to that section (maybe not run), and my darling niece Dayna nearly begs me not to give her another one of those burritos.
It’s awful isn’t it?
It isn’t that the burritos are not good tasting, they are great when you are on the run and need to warm one up because you are gluten free and therefore cannot trust many restaurants. The point is however, frozen foods can get old when you are busy and not cooking.
What should my husband and I do about our love for burritos, but
hate dislike for frozen burritos at the moment? You got it! Make our own.
Today’s recipe is nothing short of an outpouring of our hearts for homemade breakfast burritos. This is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a brinner (I mean it only makes sense that if there is a brunch as in breakfast-lunch, then there logically must be a brinner as in breakfast-dinner, right?).
Well, before I get confused (and get you confused), enjoy this gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and super savory breakfast burrito with scrambled tofu, sour cream, chives, and havarti cheese.
SCRAMBLED TOFU AND HARVARTI CHEESE BREAKFAST BURRITO
©Sweet n’ Savory Life
Recipe type: Breakfast/Brunch
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 7 to 8 oz. of extra firm tofu
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chicken-style seasoning (see note below)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt, or to taste
- black pepper, to taste (optional)
- ¼ orange bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 4 thin slices of Daiya havarti cheese
- 2-4 tbsp vegan sour cream, I used Tofutti
- 2 gluten free tortillas, I used Udi’s
- Chop vegetables (bell peppers, onions, and green onion), and store to the side for later use.
- Remove tofu from package, drain, and pat dry (with a paper towel).
- Place the oil into a large skillet, and place over medium heat.
- When oil is warm, either hand-crumble, or use a spoon to crumble tofu into large chunks.
- Add the tofu to the skillet, and stir tofu into the oil.
- Next, add the turmeric and stir until the tofu is tinted yellow.
- Then, add all other seasonings, and stir. Allow this to stand for a few minutes frying.
- After a few minutes, add vegetables and stir fry this for another few minutes, or until tofu gets a little “tanned”.
- Now add the havarti cheese to the tofu scramble, and cover skillet, so as to trap the heat allowing the cheese to melt.
- While the cheese is melting, place another non-stick pan or a griddle on the stove, and over low heat, warm the gluten free tortilla. This will make them more flexible for folding.
- Once the tortillas are warmed slightly, remove them from heat, place them on plates, then remove the scramble from heat, and evenly add it to the middle of the two tortilla wraps.
- Add a tablespoon or two of vegan sour cream to the scramble on the tortillas, and fold the tortillas “burrito style”.
- Serve the burritos immediately as they are, or cut each into halves serving them with extra sour cream or homemade salsa (recipe linked below).
This recipe is going to be marvelous! If you love it, let me know about it in the comments section below, and also, if you are looking for great items/condiments to add to your dish click one of the links below for my other recipes:
Note: If you are interested in finding vegan chicken seasoning, I recommend:
McKay’s Chicken Style Seasoning or Bill’s Best Chik’nish Seasoning which can be found on Amazon. I will also be posting a recipe for that soon as well. ~Bella
I Think You’d Also Love…