I will just start by saying that I love Vegenaise and Earth Balance mayo. I don’t make it a point to home-make things like these since they are easily accessible. I typically just purchase it because 99% of the time I make everything from scratch anyway, and save time.
Nevertheless, what I don’t like is when I cannot seem to have my purchased condiments on hand when I seem to need them most.
Has that ever happened to you?
That happened to me on Christmas. Yes, it was Christmas.
We were making dinner — potato salad to be exact, and it happened!
Where is the mayo? — There was none.
Is the store open? — Nope!
Do we really need potato salad with this meal? — Absolutely yes!
So what do we do? — Make our own!
The reality is, making your own mayo is not a walk in the park. It takes a little bit of skill but don’t be scared!
Here is what I discovered:
- It takes the right ingredients (which are listed below)
- A perfect outcome is preceded by a good blender – a high-powered one.
- Have patience to read/understand the instructions – which aren’t long.
- Well, I have messed this up before. I cannot stress enough that you need to quickly educate yourself on emulsion (don’t worry, I’ll guide you).
- You require the willingness to make it in advance because it’s better once it cools in the refrigerator.
This is truly a perfect mayonnaise. So read thoroughly and you will have the best homemade vegan mayonnaise.
Homemade Creamy Vegan Mayonnaise
Author: Tina Ruggiero
Recipe type: Dips, Condiments, Sauces
- ½ cup original soy milk
- 1-1/4 cup organic canola oil
- ½ to ¾ tbsp cane sugar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¾ tsp celtic sea salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- Pour soy milk in the blender on the lowest speed possible. Start here, and only here.
- Very slowly (important!) drizzle in the oil while the blade is running and basically emulsifying the soy milk/oil. You must do this part, or you will not get thick creamy mayo!
- Once all the oil is added, stop the blender, and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Then, continue blending on low until thick consistency is reached.
- Once complete, place in an air-tight container and store in the refrigerator to cool.
This mayo is so creamy, fluffy, and perfect, just make it!
I Think You’d Also Love…