Snacking is an art. It refers to the intake of foods other than the main meals in the course of the day. Typically, snacks are distributed in between the main meals. Snacks and weight loss feels like a controversial topic and will continue to be for the foreseeable future as more people become conscious about their health. Interestingly, scientific research indicates that increased meal frequency through snacking helps regulate blood sugar and manage hunger.
Three Key Advantages of Snacking
Snacking continues to gain prominence and acceptance as a healthy lifestyle habit in recent years. It is an important part of any diet and can provide numerous advantages, especially when it comes to weight loss.
- First, it helps prevent overeating during meals, which can lead to unhealthy weight gain. Eating smaller portions throughout the day helps keep blood sugar levels stable and prevents large fluctuations in energy.
- It’s a fabulous way of getting more nutrients into your diet. Taking healthy snacks like fruits and vegetables provides vital vitamins and minerals. Eating healthy snacks in between meals can also help to keep your hunger at bay thus preventing overeating during mealtimes.
- Finally, snacking indulges one to satisfy their cravings without adding too many calories or fat to their diet. Many snacks, including popcorn, are low in calories and fat. Enjoy the satisfaction of snacking without compromising your diet.
30 Healthy Snacks Over the Holidays
Holidays bring an aura of relaxation and the occasional overindulgence in eating. Health experts highly recommend nixing snacks off your diet on your weight loss journey. However, snacks can be a wonderful partner to help see you on the other side depending on the choices made. Processed foods and sugary sweets don’t count as healthy snacks. Well, here are some of the most healthy snacks to consider next time you get cravings.
Most Healthy Snacks
1. Fresh Fruit – It’s full of essential vitamins and minerals, as well as dietary fiber, giving your body enough energy to get through the day.
2. Nuts – This is an excellent weight loss snack because they’re full of healthy fats, protein, and fiber. They also contain magnesium and other minerals that can help keep you satiated for longer.
3. Seeds – Packed with nutrients and can help boost weight loss by keeping you full longer thus preventing you from eating much.
4. Dark Chocolate – Believe it or not, dark chocolate is a great weight loss snack because it contains antioxidants that can help reduce cravings and increase metabolism.
5. Avocado Toast – Avocado toast is high in healthy fats, protein, and fiber, making it a great weight loss snack. We cannot insist enough on the need to include avocado in your diet. It’s one of the best diet choices out there.
6. Hummus and Veggie Sticks – Hummus is full of healthy fats and protein, while veggie sticks add dietary fiber to your snack. If you decide to combine hummus with carrots, this makes sense since they contain beta-carotene which is converted into Vitamin A beneficial to your immunity and cholesterol.
7. Greek Yogurt – Plain Greek yogurt is low in calories and packed with probiotics that can help support weight loss, cardiovascular health, and microbiome.
8. Edamame – edamame is a great weight loss snack because it’s low in calories and full of protein and fiber. It keeps you refueled till the next meal.
9. Air-Popped Popcorn – Air-popped popcorn is low in calories and packed with healthy carbs, making it a great weight-loss snack. Learn how best to make popcorn in different ways by reading through our blogs.
10. Homemade Trail Mix – Contains healthy fats, protein, and fiber that prevent one from filling full, thus preventing a higher uptake of foods.
11. Almonds – High in healthy fats, protein, and fiber that help keep you full longer. They go very well with bananas.
12. Roasted Chickpeas – Research shows eating legumes can help you lose as much as one pound per week. To avoid eating them ordinarily, roast them in olive oil sprinkled with cumin and paprika for additional flavor.
13. Blueberry toast – Blueberries are low in calories and packed with antioxidants that can help reduce cravings and suppress appetite.
14. Hard-Boiled Eggs – hard-boiled eggs are high in protein and have been proven to help weight loss. Eggs are also dense with nutrients yet are low-calorie.
15. Celery with Cream Cheese – Celery is low in calories and provides dietary fiber, while cream cheese adds healthy fats and protein to your snack.
16. Oatmeal with Cinnamon – Oatmeal is a weight-loss-friendly food because it’s full of complex carbs that can help keep you full longer. Oatmeal contains beta-glucans, a soluble fiber that boosts satiety. Cinnamon helps regulate blood sugar levels.
17. Kale Chips – Swap your regular KFC chips with kale chips that contain fiber, protein, and antioxidants, nutrients that aid weight loss because they’re low in calories and provide essential vitamins and minerals.
18. Coconut Water – A beverage that contains electrolytes and can help keep you hydrated, and hence reduce one’s weight.
19. Unsweetened Green Tea – Another beverage that helps in weight loss because it can help boost metabolism and reduce cravings.
20. Fruit Smoothies combined with protein powder – Smoothies are a great weight-loss snack because they’re full of healthy nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that can keep you full longer depending on the ingredients. Dieticians advise using bananas (120 Kcal) and spinach since the two make a perfect blend.
21. Cottage Cheese – Cottage cheese is high in protein and can help keep weight loss on track. Additionally, it contains linoleic acid, a fatty acid associated with fat loss.
22. Pumpkin Seeds – Packed with healthy fats, protein, and fiber that can help support weight loss.
23. Veggie Omelette – Veggie omelets are a great weight-loss-friendly breakfast because they’re low in calories and packed with healthy proteins and fiber.
24. Greek Salad – Greek salads are a great weight-loss-friendly snack because they’re full of lean proteins, healthy fats, and dietary fiber.
25. Protein Bars – An excellent weight-loss snack because they contain balanced amounts of carbs, fat, and protein to help keep you full longer. Read the label to ensure they are not sugar-laden.
26. Apple Slices with Peanut Butter – Apples are a weight-loss-friendly food because they’re low in calories and contain dietary fiber, while peanut butter adds healthy fats and protein. Peanut butter is a plant-based source of protein while apples contain soluble fiber. These not only reduce weight but also prevent diseases such as cancer and diabetes.
27. Chia Pudding – It’s low in calories and full of healthy fats, protein, and dietary fiber. hence a greater choice for people aiming to cut their weight.
28. Celery with Hummus – Because it’s low in calories and contains dietary fiber, celery makes sense as a weight loss snack, while hummus adds healthy fats and protein to your snack.
29. Avocado Toast – Enjoy the fullness of healthy fats, carbs, and proteins that can help keep you full longer.
30. Avocado with English Muffin – Research indicates people who consume avocados are less likely to put on weight compared to those who don’t. If one delves deeper, science indicates that avocados contain high levels of healthy mono- and polyunsaturated fats, and are rich in nutrients that make them good for your heart, eye, and skin health. The whole grain makes you feel fuller.
These are just a few examples of the many weight-loss snacks available today. With so many options, weight loss doesn’t have to be a struggle. By making healthy lifestyle changes, weight loss is much more attainable and you can start living your healthiest life today!