I seem to be the envy of my friends, lately. The ones who live above the Mason Dixon line , at least. While they’re putting on sweaters and gloves, I’m still enjoying 86-degree temperatures. I even planted a few palm trees in my yard, today!
So, the recipe below is for all of you in those colder climates. When you want a taste of the tropics, just put on a Beach Boys CD, take out your tequila, and prepare my recipe below. I guarantee a “good vibrations” and a great meal.
TEQUILA SHRIMP WITH CILANTRO HERBED RICE
Makes a delicious, “light” lunch or dinner appetizer
¾ cup long grain white rice
2 Tablespoons tequila
1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon bottled chipotle sauce (or other hot sauce)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
24 jumbo shrimp with tails, peeled and deveined
8 six-inch bamboo skewers
½ teaspoon sea salt
6 Tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
8 lime wedges
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Preheat indoor or outdoor grill.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix tequila with lime juice, olive oil, chipotle sauce and garlic cloves. Add shrimp and toss well to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Thread three shrimp onto each bamboo skewer saving remaining marinade.
- Lightly coat grill or grill pan with olive oil and place skewers on grill.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for four minutes. Brush with remaining marinade and turn. Cover and grill for four more minutes or until the shrimp are opaque.
- Transfer skewers to a plate. Set aside.
- Scoop rice into a medium-size bowl.
- Stir in salt and three Tablespoons cilantro.
- Portion ¾ cup rice onto each of four plates. Top each with two skewers and garnish with remaining cilantro.
- Serve with lime wedges.
287 Calories (3/4 cup rice and six shrimp)
4 g Fat
210 mg Cholesterol