In my two decades of private practice, my clients who’ve been most successful losing weight and keeping it off were those who incorporated flavor and variety into their diet. It sounds trite, but it’s true; preparing meals that are satisfying, have eye-appeal and don’t seem like “diet food,” make healthy eating enjoyable. After all, if you take the joy away from mealtime, what’s left?
It’s so simple to whip up delicious, nutritious, creative sandwiches, and I do so with Jerry Penacoli on Daytime. If you’re inspired by my segment, here are fourteen different sandwich fillings to try. (Yes! That’s enough combos for two weeks!) Vary the bread, and you’ll have even more options!
I also like to toast my sandwiches or use a panini press, since melted cheese can be a more powerful flavor than cheese alone. Here’s the food science nugget that explains why: Heat brings out the umami flavor of cheese, making it more savory and delicious.
- Kippers + Red Onions + Mayo + Roasted Red Peppers + Avocado
- Egg Salad + Mustard + Smoked Paprika
- Fresh Spinach + Artichokes + Aged White Cheddar
- Cooked Egg Whites + Roasted Asparagus + Sliced Tomatoes
- Sliced Bananas + Coconut-Peanut Butter + Honey Drizzle
- Nutella + Strawberries
- Whipped Cream Cheese + Smoked Salmon + Fresh Dill
- Fontina Cheese + Prosciutto + Arugula + Olive Oil Drizzle
- Cottage Cheese + Pineapple + Cinnamon
- Pesto + Sliced Hard-Boiled Egg + Mozzarella
- Strawberries + Avocado + Age White Cheddar
- Rock Shrimp + Mayo + Fresh Spinach + Chorizo
- Tuna Packed with Jalapenos + Sharp Cheddar
- Roasted Eggplant, Peppers & Onions + Pesto + Mozzarella