Yesterday on Daytime, viewers were introduced to Kristy Acuff, a woman who’s about to change her life. With help from Dr. Srinivas Iyengar, personal trainer Julia Zammito and me, Kristy plans to quit smoking, lose 40 pounds and get into the best shape of her life!
While Kristy enjoys breakfast, she eats instant oatmeal, which is filled with artificial flavorings and preservatives, and she smokes a cigarette. So, while Dr. Iyengar works with Kristy on smoking cessation techniques, I began Kristy’s “makeover” with a [lightbox href=”http://youtu.be/CCnG6_qS-XA”]quick demonstration[/lightbox] of how breakfast can be whipped-up in less than 5 minutes. She was shocked that oatmeal can be tempting and healthy at the same time!
Following are the “recipes” I featured on the show. I call them “plus 2” recipes, since you’re just adding two ingredients to your oatmeal. Enjoy one cup of cooked, old fashioned oatmeal prepared with skim milk plus one to two tablespoons each of the add-ins. When using fresh fruit, mix in ½ cup with your oats and topping. Enjoy!
TINA’S OATMEAL RECIPES: Simple as 1 – 2 – 3!
- Oatmeal + Chopped Dates + Toasted Almonds: Dates provide potassium and minerals; almonds offer heart-healthy fats
- Oatmeal + Sliced Bananas + Dried Cranberries: Bananas provide potassium, vitamins C and B6; cranberries offer antioxidants
- Oatmeal + Shaved Dark Chocolate + Apricots: Dark chocolate provides isoflavoves; apricots offer vitamins A and C
- Oatmeal + Apples + Cinnamon or Nutmeg: Apples provide vitamins A and C; cinnamon offers anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties
- Oatmeal + Sliced Strawberries + Honey: Strawberries provide vitamin C and fiber; honey offers antioxidant properties
- Oatmeal + Dried Currants + Walnuts: Currants provide vitamin C and fiber; walnuts offer heart-healthy fats
- Oatmeal + Pineapple + Shredded Coconut: Pineapple provides enzymes that are good for digestion and vitamin C; coconut offers some fiber
Let me know what some of your favorite combinations are, and good health to you in the New Year!