Leave your passport at home! One bite of this burger will transport you to the beautiful country of Greece, without ever leaving the comfort of your kitchen.
Actually, that’s a country I’d love to see… on my bike, of course. Has anyone ever cycled Greece? I’m eager to hear from anyone who might want to share experiences and tips.
In the meantime, enjoy these burgers. You can also use ground turkey or bison. Yes, bison. It’s quite lean and has fewer calories and cholesterol than beef or chicken.
Makes 4 servings
1 lb lean ground beef (95% fat free)
½ c cooked spinach, packed and drained
½ c feta cheese, crumbled
½ c chopped Kalamata olives
2 t chopped dill
1 t chopped oregano
1 t chopped parsley
1 t minced garlic
1 t salt
½ t pepper
2 pita pockets, each cut in half
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- In a large bowl, place beef, spinach, feta, olives, dill, oregano, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Combine well, then shape into four patties.
- Grill the burgers 5 minutes on each side, or until a meat thermometer reads 155 degrees.
- Serve in one-half of a pita pocket spread with yogurt sauce (recipe below).
¾ cup non-fat Greek yogurt, or plain yogurt
2 t lemon zest
2 t lemon juice
1 t chopped dill
1 t chopped mint
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, lemon zest, juice, dill and mint.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Tina’s Other Suggestions:
Offer thinly-sliced cucumbers, bib lettuce, tomatoes and purple onions as other pita condiments.